Definition

Travel [a journey, especially to a distant or unfamiliar place]
+
Velleity [a slight wish or tendency: inclination]

29 September 2010

Past Blast: Turin

Interior Dome of Turin's San Lorenzo, by Guarino Guarini [1679]
I dropped by Turin [Italian: Torino] during Spring Break in 2004. Located in far northwest Italy, it is nestled in the Alpine foothills. I visited before the 2006 Winter Olympiad was held there, but the city was already in the midst of facade cleaning and venue construction. America-side Turin is most famous for its Shroud. I wasn't able to see the Shroud for myself due to its being on tour at the time, but I found the museum dedicated to the Shroud and the centuries of trying to prove its authenticity interesting anyway. Turin also happens to have one of the largest Egyptian artifact collections [outside of Egypt, of course].


The Mole Antonelliana
Turin is also home to what was originally conceived as the world's tallest synagogue, the Mole Antonelliana. Today, it houses Italy's National Museum of Cinema. The interior is a modern collection of tributes and film reels that highlight Rome's Cinecitta heyday. Nevermind that many Italian films also appear on MST3k. It also lets you get a view of Turin and the surrounding Alps from atop the dome.


Turin really surprised me. I basically penciled it in as an overnight place to stop on my way up to France, but it actually had a nice collection of museums, Roman ruins,  and churches to spend the day sightseeing. I didn't have a chance to get out to the mountains, which during the winter would be a great place to catch some skiing. If you're ever traveling through Turin via train, I highly suggest making a day [or two] of it. It will be a nice breather from the more touristy parts of your trip.


Roman gate Porta Palatina
Always liked this photo of a Turin bollard... disguised as a penguin

No comments:

Post a Comment